This “Easy Italian Veggie Pie” is incredibly quick and the perfect side for your winter soups or to enjoy with a Smoked Bloody Mary (posted last week) for a noon game. It’s made with a tube of crescent rolls so, we promise, all in-home chefs can master this! Our Mushroom and Garlic Olive Oil used for sautéing and then brushed on top complements the earthy flavors perfectly.
3 tablespoons Olive Tree Mushroom and Garlic Olive Oil
8 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
2 shallots, chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
One 5-ounce bag baby spinach, washed and dried
One 8-ounce tube refrigerated crescent rolls
3 eggs, beaten
4 cups shredded mozzarella
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Pecorino-Romano
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, 5 minutes. Add the shallots and saute for another 5 minutes. Add the spinach, Italian seasoning, a large pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. Cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted, a few minutes more. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Pat the crescent roll dough into a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sautéed vegetables, mozzarella, Parmesan and eggs. Pat the mixture into the crescent roll dough.
- Bake until golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.