Well, it happened. I reached BLT nirvana. We went all out on this open-faced sandwich and it’s worth every second! The highlights? Marinating heirloom tomatoes in our Red Wine Vinegar and Basil Olive Oil. Drizzling the juices from thick Applewood bacon onto fresh arugula. And finally, adding avocado and homemade aioli to seal the deal. Your only dilemma will be whether to use a fork or to get your hands messy. (Tip: Have several napkins ready.)
Four 3/4-inch-thick slices heirloom tomato
½ tsp sea salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp. Olive Tree Red Wine Vinegar
1 tablespoons Olive Tree Basil Olive Oil
6 slices Applewood smoked bacon
1 tbsp. aioli (click here for recipe)
Two thick slices bread (or four if small), toasted
1 avocado, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1 cup arugula
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the tomato slices on a tray or large plate. Sprinkle sea salt and black pepper. Drizzle the vinegar and oil over the tomatoes. Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Lay the bacon on a baking sheet, and season with a generous amount of black pepper. Brush some of the juices from the seasoned tomatoes onto the bacon. Roast the bacon until it is golden brown and the fat has rendered, about 20 minutes. Reserve the bacon drippings.
- In a separate bowl, lightly toss the arugula with a small amount of the drippings from the bacon and season as needed with salt and pepper.
- Spread 1 1/2 teaspoons aioli on each slice of country toast. Top with 1/2 cup arugula salad. Top each with bacon and onions. Season the avocado with salt and pepper, and place on top of the bacon. Follow with marinated tomato slices on each sandwich.
Total Time: 30 minutes